Women's Sport Week
Women’s Sport Week (1st – 7th June 2015) is an opportunity for everybody involved with playing, delivering, leading or working in sport to celebrate, raise awareness and increase the profile of women’s sport across the UK. The week is being led by the charity Women in Sport, and at Volleyball England we are right behind the campaign.
Volleyball has a lot to be proud of in terms of gender equality within our sport:
- Over half of registered NVL players are female
- Only 18% of qualified coaches in the UK are female (Sports Coach UK, 2013) however in volleyball this figure is 29%.
- Volleyball England is one of the leading NGBs in terms of progressing towards women’s representation in leadership roles - it is one of only ten NGBs with a female Chief Executive and also has a consistently higher proportion of females in leadership positions compared to the sector average
However, we can still encourage more women to get into volleyball!
How can you get involved?
- If you want to give volleyball a go, check out http://www.gospike.net/this_girl_can
- Share your messages of support for Women’s Sport Week using the hashtag #WSW2015 on social media
- Look out for our inspirational women in volleyball on Volleyball England’s Twitter, Facebook and Instagram feeds this week
- Share your photos of women who have inspired you in volleyball
- Look out for special coverage on BBC and Sky Sports for Women’s Sport Week
Lisa Wainwright, Chief Executive: “I am extremely proud of what an inclusive and diverse sport volleyball is in England. Women’s Sport Week will both showcase women in all roles in volleyball and also encourage more women to participate in our great sport.”
To find out more about Women’s Sport Week, visit www.womenssportweek.org